The 7th Guest
|The 7th Guest|
|Also known as||T7G|
|Developed by||Trilobyte, MojoTouch (25th Anniversary Edition)|
|Published by||Virgin, MojoTouch (25th Anniversary Edition)|
|Distributed by||Telstar Fun & Games, Virgin|
|Platforms||CD-i, DOS, Macintosh, Windows, iOS|
|Resolution||640x480, 256 colors|
|Support||Since ScummVM 0.13.0|
The 7th Guest was the first game to be released by Trilobyte, and the first to use the Groovie engine. The introduction tells the story of Stauf, a toy-maker who builds a mansion, and then the user takes control of a character (referred to as Ego), who has no idea who he is or how he got there, as he solves the puzzles in Stauf's mansion to discover the truth about what happened there.
Pending issues can be found in the Groovie TODO page
- The DOS, Windows and Macintosh versions are supported.
- The CD-i release seems to be done using a Philips' custom engine (it doesn't use the Groovie engine for sure), so we won't be able to support it in ScummVM.
- The 25th Anniversary release uses a modified version of ScummVM. However, the original game ("Legacy Edition") is offered as a separate free DLC.
Required data files
For more information on how ScummVM uses game data files, see the user documentation.
Note: Must be extracted from the .ipa file (which is just a standard zip file)
Most versions of The 7th Guest have audio tracks on the CDs, and the first audio track on each CD is played at some point in the game. Rip the first audio track from the first CD as "track1.xxx", and the audio track from the second CD as "track2.xxx". Use either MP3, OGG or FLAC formats. The second audio track on the first CD, if present, is blank and unused.
Original game bugs which also occur in ScummVM
- Library secret door - this is actually how the video was rendered, and as such is not fixable [Bug #4102].
- Game room → kitchen secret passage - this only occurs if you've at least started the cans puzzle already [Bug #4246].
- Doll room flip puzzle impossible to win in some cases [Bug #4315].
Original game bugs which have been fixed in ScummVM
- Cake puzzle bug [Bug #4050].
On the main menu Sphinx board, when you're not already in a game (so you should see Start New, not Return), type in "Zaphod Beeblebrox" and you'll hear "Groovie", that means you've unlocked open house mode. Click one of the corners of the board to choose a spot in the game to jump to.