The functions in common/debug.* provide a basic debug output interface in a platform portable form.
The debuglevel is a global single integer which varies between -1 (minimum - default) and 11 (maximum).
This parameter indicates increasing verbosity of debug output, but does not separate by function.
This is set by passing the command line parameter, -d <int> to scummvm at runtime.
Debugflags (also known as Debug Channels) are booleans and are engine specific.
An engine can have up to 32 channels.
These can be set by passing the command line parameter, --debugflags=<flag1, flag2, ...> to scummvm at runtime.
They are generally preferred to just using debuglevel, since they allow separation of debug output into clearly named groupings and can be changed during runtime using the debug console.
Interactive Engine Debugging
Most of the ScummVM engines implement the debug console.
The exceptions are :
The key combination to activate the debug console is CTRL-d
(though this can be varied by engine if it conflicts with gameplay - See README).
The default console provides the following default commands :
- help : Display the list of available commands
- exit : Exit the debug console
- debugflag_list : list the available debug flags and their status
- debugflag_enable <debugflag> : enable a given debugflag
- debugflag_disable <debugflag> : disable a given debugflag
This can be extended with further engine-specific commands.
TODO: Document commands for specific engines, or link to subpages in each engine for this.
TODO: Document debug flags/levels for the various ports.
- To prevent SDL from catching segmentation faults (the SDL Parachute), add the following key to the configuration file under [scummvm]:
or use command line switch
command line option.