How to make a ScummVM release.
This is work in progress and needs to be completed!
- Making the release plan
- Telling people about it, making sure everybody knows what is going on
Testing & Branching
- Identify release critical (show stopper) bugs and get people to fix them.
- Identify other important bugs and get people to fix them.
- Get even more people to fix all the other bugs, if possible :-).
- Get people to do lots of testing, possibly by asking for help via a news item.
- Collect all that information (e.g. in the Wiki).
- Make source tarballs, post them in the SF.net FRS.
- Get porters to make binaries. Note: We have a filename convention, which goes like this: "scummvm-VERSION-PORT.EXTENSION". For example: "scummvm-1.0.0-macosx.dmg".
- Update the website internally, but do not yet put these changes online.
News & Notification
Write a news blurb (or rather multiple to be used in the following). Usually, you want a bit longer one for the website, a list for Versiontracker, something with proper english sentences for Freshmeat, etc....
- Write a news item for our website.
- Create a SF.net news item (Ender, Fingolfin, Sev, ...)
- Update Freshmeat (Ender, Fingolfin, ...)
- Update Versiontracker.com (Fingolfin)
- Put the updated web site online
- In the File Release System, use the "Notify" feature to make sure everybody who's interested in new releases gets a mail