|Engine developer||athrxx, cyx, LordHoto, vinterstum|
|Companies that used it||Westwood Studios|
|Games that use it||The Legend of Kyrandia, Hand of Fate, |
|Date added to ScummVM||April 9, 2004|
|First release containing it||0.9.0|
Status of the Kyra engine
The Legend of Kyrandia
The current Kyrandia engine in the ScummVM SVN repository can play through The Legend of Kyrandia (some graphics glitches still occur).
Hand of Fate
There is some in-game support available for Hand of Fate in ScummVM SVN.
Also ScummVM SVN is capable of showing the Malcolm's Revenge main menu and playing the introduction sequence and parts of the intro.
Status of the Source Release
Negotiations for the release of the source to Kyrandia (and possible freeware release) have been conducted with Electronic Arts LA. The original code and assets from the Westwood-era have been confirmed to still exist on backups.
Action has stalled, mostly due to confusion over the franchise ownership and licensing. As of the last update, EA has reconfirmed their ownership of the rights.
Games using this engine
- The Legend of Kyrandia (1992)
- The Legend of Kyrandia: Book Two: Hand of Fate (1993)
- The Legend of Kyrandia: Book Three: Malcolm's Revenge (1994)
- Complain if no game data was found in specified directory instead of assert() and producing bunch of useless warnings.
- make sound working properly (MIDI sound has some problems)
- Reduce kMD5FileSizeLimit from 1MB to e.g. 80 kb (this might require recomputing some MD5s, but is faster, and good enough for finger printing)
The items and the map lists include tips for the game, do not look at them if you want to play the game on your own.
- Opcodes (list of unimplemented functions)
- Items (Kyrandia 1)
- Maps (Kyrandia 1)
- Savegames (Kyrandia 1) (for the sake of reference only)
Kyrandia 2: Hand of Fate
Kyrandia 3: Malcolm's Revenge
- ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/kyrandia1/ - Kyrandia 1 - update, demo, sample music, screenshots