|Engine developer||LordHoto, vinterstum, cyx|
|Companies that used it||Westwood Studios|
|Games that use it||Kyrandia 1, Kyrandia 2, |
|Date added to ScummVM||2004-04-09|
|First release containing it||0.9.0|
Status of the Kyra engine
The current Kyrandia engine in the ScummVM SVN repository can play through Kyrandia 1 (some graphics glitches still occur). The data file (kyra.dat) needed can be found in the SVN section "engine-data" (latest version of kyra.dat).
Also ScummVM 0.10.0 (unstable SVN sources) is capable of showing the Kyrandia 3 main menu and playing the introduction sequence.
- Complain if no game data was found in specified directory instead of assert() and producing bunch of useless warnings.
- implement the missing opcodes (see here for a list of unimplemented/unused opcodes)
- make sound working properly (MIDI sound has some problems)
- Reduce kMD5FileSizeLimit from 1MB to e.g. 80 kb (this might require recomputing some MD5s, but is faster, and good enough for finger printing)
Status of the Source Release
Negotiations for the release of the source to Kyrandia (and possible freeware release) have been conducted with Electronic Arts LA. The original code and assets from the Westwood-era have been confirmed to still exist on backups.
Action has stalled, mostly due to confusion over the franchise ownership and licensing. As of the last update, EA has reconfirmed their ownership of the rights.
The items and the map lists include tips for the game, do not look at them if you want to play the game on your own.
- Opcodes (list of unimplemented functions)
- Items (Kyrandia 1)
- Maps (Kyrandia 1)
- Savegames (Kyrandia 1) (for the sake of reference only)
Kyrandia 2: Hand of Fate
Kyrandia 3: Malcolm's Revenge
- ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/kyrandia1/ - Kyrandia 1 - update, demo, sample music, screenshots