Difference between revisions of "SCI/TODO"

From ScummVM :: Wiki
< SCI
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(More SCI TODO updates)
(Added note that CFSML for savegames in SCI should be replaced)
Line 28: Line 28:
 
* I just made a big commit where I started to overhaul the file handling in SCI. It's incomplete, and may cause regressions, but it is a start. The biggest chunk left to take care of is engine/kfile.cpp, and in there mostly reading/writing from/to other files than regular savegames. This needs to be switched to the savefile API.
 
* I just made a big commit where I started to overhaul the file handling in SCI. It's incomplete, and may cause regressions, but it is a start. The biggest chunk left to take care of is engine/kfile.cpp, and in there mostly reading/writing from/to other files than regular savegames. This needs to be switched to the savefile API.
 
* make the SCI tools compilable (to avoid bitrot, while we change code that they depend on), and finally usable again.
 
* make the SCI tools compilable (to avoid bitrot, while we change code that they depend on), and finally usable again.
 +
* Get rid of the CFSML system for savegames. It is arcane (people don't understand it, changes to the savegame format are difficult, it requires perl to update the source code, etc.). Instead, use for example a system like we use in SCUMM, but in an improved version, see [https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=b434588f0807300420w76c781c5maefabbc04e5533ff%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=scummvm-devel the discussion on scummvm-devel].

Revision as of 02:35, 24 February 2009

  • check for places that use char or unsigned char for boolean values, and change those to bool. Even nicer would be to change it to use enum types whose value names express the intention (SearchOptions.RECURSIVE, GraphicsScaleOptions.2X, etc), but just going for bool will already be a big improvement.
  • more formatting fixes: The SCI code puts return values on separate lines all over the place, e.g.

<syntax type="C++">

 int
 _vocab_cmp_words(const void *word1, const void *word2) {

</syntax> Take care of that and other formatting issues.

  • Change #define lists into enums
  • Rearrange the files under engines/sci: I.e. get rid of include/ subdir (just move its contents to engines/sci, at some point at least). Some source files should also be renamed for clarity.
  • Convert stuff from "C pseudo classes" to real classes.
  • Replace various generic FreeSCI code by their ScummVM counterparts, where it make sense.
  • Replace sci_gettime and sci_get_current_time by OSystem::getTimeAndDate and OSystem::getMillis
  1. You first need to find out which is used where: Des the code try to determine the current time? Use getTimeAndDate(). Does it try to measure something, regulate timing? Using getMillis. It is possible that some code actually really wants to get a higher resolution than milli seconds, in that case get back to us and let's discuss what to do.
  • Not specific to SCI, but: Replace "struct tm" in common/system.h (and places that implement/use it) by a custom struct, which would be a (partial) clone of struct tm, something like Common::OSystem::Time. That way, we wouldn't have to use <time.h> anymore anywhere.
  • const correctness in engines/sci/engine/savegame.c (this is a generated file, so change the source or generator, whatever is necessary)
  • change the many nice existing function documentation comments to use doxygen syntax
  • Turn code into templates in following files (now they generate code via #defines):
    • gfx/gfx_pixmap_scale.cpp
    • gfx/gfx_line.cpp
    • gfx/gfx_crossblit.cpp
    • gfx/resource/sci_picfill.cpp
    • gfx/resource/sci_picfill_aux.cpp
  • Check old FreeSCI-scummvm branch / repos by Jordi for change that could be salvaged, e.g. the files sfx/device/scumm-midi.cpp and sfx/softseq/scumm-adlib.cpp, or the modifications to the SCI debugger to use the ScummVM console, and stuff.
  • Replace the SCI sound mixer by Audio::Mixer
  • I just made a big commit where I started to overhaul the file handling in SCI. It's incomplete, and may cause regressions, but it is a start. The biggest chunk left to take care of is engine/kfile.cpp, and in there mostly reading/writing from/to other files than regular savegames. This needs to be switched to the savefile API.
  • make the SCI tools compilable (to avoid bitrot, while we change code that they depend on), and finally usable again.
  • Get rid of the CFSML system for savegames. It is arcane (people don't understand it, changes to the savegame format are difficult, it requires perl to update the source code, etc.). Instead, use for example a system like we use in SCUMM, but in an improved version, see the discussion on scummvm-devel.