We try to have screenshots on our website for all games that we support. The purpose of this page is to describe how new screenshots are to be made to ensure uniform overall quality. In particular, what scaler you should use, how files should be named etc.
List of screenshots we need
How to make screenshots
Here are additional rules on how to make screenshots which were settled in the last couple of years: (Of course any suggestions are welcome!)
- Check if this particular screenshot hasn't already been committed.
- If there is no visual difference between an already submitted screenshot and your game version, don't submit it.
- ScummVM settings
- Pick an interesting scene to take the screenshot of.
- 320x200 games should be run with HQ2x (Ctrl+Alt+3) mode with aspect correction (Ctrl+Alt+a) mode on. I.e. it should be 640x480 image.
- 640x480 games should be run with 1x scaler.
- On platforms which use the SDL backend (Win32 and *nix included) Alt+S creates a screenshot file called scummvmXXXXX.bmp inside the current directory.
- Make sure your screenshot is 640x480 and was made with HQ2x scaler (if originally 320x200). Otherwise it won't be accepted.
- Screenshot file details.
- File name is bigscummvm_X_Y_Z.png where X is the category (0 = LucasArts, 1 = HE, 2 = other, 3 = AGI), Y is the subcategory (i.e. indicates which game), and finally Z is sequentially numbered.
- Create a scummvm_X_Y_Z.txt containing the full game name and optionally provide the platform name in parenthesis. For example "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (Amiga)"
- If possible, use the mkthumb.sh script to produce thumbnail versions of your screenshots. If you don't have it or can't use it, then save in interlaced JPEG scaled down to 256 pixel width with quality 0.33. Optionally you can commit/submit only bigscummvm_X_Y_Z.png and scummvm_X_Y_Z.txt and we will create the thumbnails for you.
How to submit screenshots
- If you have write access to the web module in the SVN repository, you can commit it directly. NOTE: Don't forget to add the binary format key (-kb).
- Alternatively, you can submit it via our patch tracker.
- If you didn't perform some actions with the screenshot file, for example if you didn't compress it or were unable to produce thumbnails, please mark your submission accordingly.