|(18 intermediate revisions by 7 users not shown)|
Compiling ScummVM with Visual Studio 2008/2010 under Windows ==
Compiling ScummVM under Windows is not an awfully hard task, however there are some things that don't just work out of the box
Support for MS Visual Studio 2005 (MSVC8) was removed on 2014-06-21. Use a newer version of Visual Studio.
version of Visual Studio
== Things needed ==
=== Visual Studio 2010 or 2008 ===
Visual Studio 2008 .
There exist several versions of Visual Studio 2010. A feature comparison can be found
[http://www.microsoft. com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/product-comparison here]
You can obtain the free Express version of Visual C++ 2010 [http://www.microsoft. com/express here]
Although Visual Studio 2010 or 2008 is preferred, older versions of Visual Studio may work so long as you have them updated to their latest Service Pack revisions. In fact, we suggest making sure that you always have the latest Service Packs and patches applied for these tool sets. In some cases, fixes were put into the free-to-download "Processor Pack" add-on for Visual C++. So, download the latest Service Pack and the latest Processor Pack for whatever version of Visual C++ you are using to make sure you won't run into compiler bugs that prevent the compilation of scummvm.
of Visual Studio and , .scummvm.
=== Additional tools ===
You will need to download and install [ http:// www.nasm.us/ nasm] which is used for assembler versions of our scalers.
Precompiled libraries ===
To ease the whole process, a package of all the needed precompiled libraries has been created.
the libraries is the . can the :
All you need to do is :
* the library zip to your , :\\\.
* Download the [http://sourceforge. net/projects/scummvm/files/build/scummvm_vs_libs.zip/download precompiled libraries].
* and add the the in. that you the bin, include, "" .
* Download the [http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.15-win32.zip latest SDL runtime library] - latest version is 1.2.15 at the time this was written, you can find the latest version [http: //www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php here].
Download the [http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/freetype.htm FreeType library ]. You'll need the [http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/downlinks/freetype.php complete package] and the [http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/downlinks/freetype-lib-zip .php developer libraries]. You'll need to copy the .lib files to your Visual Studio vc/lib folder, and the freetype6.dll and zlib1.dll files from the Freetype bin folder (default c:\ Program Files (x86)\ GnuWin32\ bin) to your Windows folder.
Download the [http://libjpeg-turbo.virtualgl.org/ libjpeg-turbo library] and copy the library files to your Visual Studio VC/lib folder,
* Unzip the precompiled libraries archive maintaining directory structure
* Run install.bat (Visual Studio 2005/2008 only) or [[Compiling_ScummVM/Visual_Studio#Adding_all_libraries_to_Visual_Studio_2010|add the libraries by hand]] (Visual Studio 2010)
* You don't need to add the libraries to Visual Studio, as the installer automatically copies the necessary files in the appropriate directories of Visual Studio. Please note that this installer has only been tested with Visual Studio 2005 and 2008. If you get errors with earlier versions of Visual Studio, simply copy the directories ''bin '', ''lib'' and ''include '' inside the directory where Visual C++ is installed. If you're not sure how to do that, check the section " [[Compiling_ScummVM/Visual_Studio#Adding_all_libraries_to_Visual_Studio_2005%2F2008|Adding all libraries to Visual Studio 2005/2008]]" further on
* Unzip sdl. dll from the SDL runtime in the same directory where the scummvm executable will be created (under dists\<msvc_dir>\scummvm_Release) where <msvc_dir> is:
** msvc8 for Visual Studio 2005
** msvc9 for Visual Studio 2008
** msvc10 for Visual Studio 2010
** msvc11 for Visual Studio 2012
* Skip to step "[[Compiling_ScummVM/Visual_Studio#Ready to compile ScummVM|Ready to compile ScummVM]]"
= Building the libraries yourself ===
== the ==
Refer to the [[Compiling_ScummVM/Visual_Studio/Compiling_Libraries|instructions for compiling the libraries yourself]]
== Adding all libraries to Visual Studio 2010==
to Visual Studio
The way libraries are added has been changed in Visual Studio 2010, compared to earlier versions. Copy all of the precompiled libraries in a separate folder (e.g. c:\ scummvm_libs). Then, there are two different ways of adding this directory to Visual Studio:
, the \.". the solution. project the "." to "".
* Right click My Computer->Properties->Advanced (Win 2000/XP) or Advanced System Settings->Advanced (Vista/Win 7)->Environment Variables->New (System Variable), with a variable name of " SCUMMVM_LIBS" and a value of the folder where you unpacked your precompiled libraries (e. g. "C:\scummvm_vs_libs"). You need to restart Visual Studio, if it's already running, for the change to take effect.
* If the above method doesn't work, open the ScummVM solution in Visual Studio, and go to View->Property Manager or View->Other Views->Property Manager (depending on your layout configuration). From there, open the scummvm project , and go to the configuration you want to build (e.g. Debug|Win32) and click on " Microsoft. Cpp.Win32.user" . From there, go to " VC++ directories" and add the 3 library directories in the appropriate places, i.e. :
Executable Directories: add "C:\scummvm_vs_libs\bin;" at the beginning
Include Directories: add "C:\scummvm_vs_libs\include;" at the beginning
Library Directories: add "C:\scummvm_vs_libs\lib\x86" (or x64, if you're building a 64-bit version) at the beginning
If if still fails to build, saying it can't find a lib file, go to the project properties of the scummvm project, Configuration Properties->Linker->General->Additional Library Directories and add your lib folder in there
Adding all libraries to Visual Studio 2005/2008 ==
There are two ways of adding the libraries to Visual Studio. You can either copy all the header and library files inside the appropriate directories of Visual C++ or tell Visual C++ where to look for them.
are to Visual Studio.
=== First method: Copy the files inside VC++'s folders ===
the the is to .
The '''first method''' of adding the required libraries is to go to each individual compiled library and copy the header and library files.
You' ll need the following:<br><br>
'''''''. where .. frombuild . you build you from \lib\\\\
'''libFLAC_static. lib''' - static build of libFLAC (from folder obj\release\lib where you unzipped libFLAC)
'''libmad. lib''' - static build of libMAD (from folder msvc++\Release where you unzipped libmad)
'''libmpeg2. lib''' - static build of libMPEG2 (from folder vc++\Release where you unzipped mpeg2dec)
'''libpng.lib''' - static build of libpng (from folder projects\visualc71\Win32_LIB_Release where you unzipped libpng)
'''ogg_static. lib''' - static build of libOGG (from folder win32\Static_Release where you unzipped libogg)
'''sdl.lib''' - static build of SDL (from folder lib where you unzipped SDL)
'''vorbisfile_static.lib''' - static build of vorbisfile (from folder win32\ VorbisFile_Static_Release where you unzipped libvorbis)
'''vorbis_static.lib ''' - static build of libvorbis (from folder win32\ Vorbis_Static_Release where you unzipped libvorbis)
'''vorbisenc_static.lib''' - static build of libvorbis (from folder win32\ Vorbisenc_Static_Release where you unzipped libvorbis)
'''zlib.lib''' - static build of zlib (from folder projects\ visualc6\ Win32_LIB_Release where you unzipped zlib)
Copy those inside VC's lib folder (e.g. C: \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\lib)
: Visual Studio 
Copy those inside VC's include folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include)
'''nasmw.exe''' - from the NASM zip
Copy this as nasmw.exe AND as nasm.exe inside VC's bin folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin)
as a . If you need the , you of the
the , >--enableconsole.
the the scummvm project, go to Linker System and change the /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS to /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE
=== Second method: Tell VC++ where to look ===
The '''second method''' is to tell VC++ where to look for the required libraries and header files
Go to Tools->Options->Projects and solutions->VC++ directories.
In the executable files section, make sure that the path to nasm is included and that nasmw.exe in that folder has been copied to nasm.exe. Failure to do that will give you an error in VS (a custom building step has returned an error)
In the include files section, make sure that the include folders for libogg, libvorbis, libmad, zlib, mpeg2dec and SDL are in the list. If you need FLAC, include the FLAC include folder in the list too
In the library files section, make sure that the static libraries for vorbis, vorbisfile, libogg, zlib, mpeg2dec, libmad and SDL are included. If you 're building 0.8.0 final or earlier, include the release folder of zlibdll too (in the zlib source folder, contrib\vstudio\vc8\x86\zlibdllrelease). If you need FLAC, include the FLAC libraries folder too
Finally, if you need to compile ScummVM with FLAC support, go to Configuration Properties-> C/C++- >Preprocessor and add "USE_FLAC" in the Preprocessor Definitions field. Also, go to linker- >input and add "libflac_static.lib" in the Additional Dependencies field.
== Enabling the console ==
Since information on doing this is not that easy to find, here's how to enable the console in the resulting ScummVM executable.
The default project subsystem is "Windows" instead of "Console", which means that the console will not be shown.
To show the console, right-click on the "scummvm " project and go to Properties. There, go to Configuration Properties->Linker ->System and change the "Subsystem" property from "Windows (/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS )" to "'''Console (/SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE )'''". Then, go to Linker->Advanced and set the entry point to be "'''WinMainCRTStartup'''" (special thanks to [[User:Jubanka|Jubanka/knakos]] for his tip on entrypoint).
== Creating the project files ==
First, open relevant solution file in devtools/create_project/msvc<your-version>, and build create_project.exe file.
Then put the resulting create_project.exe file in dists/msvc<your-version> and run create_msvc<your-version>.bat in that directory.
The program will generate whole solution projects for building ScummVM.
== Ready to compile ScummVM ==
If you got all the libraries compiled, you're ready to compile the latest version of ScummVM!
Open the solution file in dists\msvcXX (msvc10 for VS2010, msvc9 for VS2008 or msvc8 for VS2005), select the "Release" configuration from the configuration manager pulldown menu and then go to Build->Build solution, or just press Control-F7 to compile it.
The ScummVM executable should be in the folder dists\msvc9\scummvm_Release as "scummvm.exe".
You'll need to copy sdl.dll from the SDL runtime archive (or the latest devel archive) in the directory where scummvm.exe is