Summer of Code/Students Guidelines< Summer of Code
Here are some guidelines for students participating in this year's GSoC with ScummVM as their mentoring organisation:
- Get in contact with your project mentors and ensure they have all the pertinent information about you they may need (include useful info such as your primary time zone/location etc.).
- Create an account on Github.
- Register your nick on FreeNode.net (it's a good idea for your IRC, and Github nicks to be similar/identical).
- Ideally stay connected to IRC and in #ScummVM, it is often the quickest way to resolve issues with your mentor or get feedback from the larger team. If you can't stay connected to IRC please review the logs frequently.
- Subscribe to the scummvm-devel mailing list and briefly introduce yourself to the team. Tell them who you are, what you are going to work on, where your blog is, what your IRC nick is.
- Read and follow our Code Formatting Conventions.
- Commit your code as soon as possible, preferably on a daily basis or more often. Our preferred approach to code commits is 'commit early, commit often'. Remember that your code is one of the key project deliverables so the more code we can see the easier it is to judge progress and help ensure that everything goes smoothly.
- We use Git as our version management system. Please refer to the online documentation and the book Pro Git for instructions on how to use Git.
This and this might also be useful to refer to.
Please also note that all students will be working off of individual branches of ScummVM, not the main development code (master).
We host currently code on Github, but our own bugtracker is used for bug tracking, patch tracking etc.
- Reflect your progress in a weblog. It's fine to reuse your existing weblog, if you have one, with a "ScummVM GSoC" category or so. If you don't have one already, try Blogger, Wordpress (see also http://wordpress.org), Movable Type, ... Start blogging very soon, even if it's just a "First post" so we can have a definite URL and we can subscribe to it.