Summer of Code/Students Guidelines
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Here are some guidelines for students participating in this year's GSoC with ScummVM as their mentoring organisation:
- Create an account on SF.net.
- Register your nick on FreeNode.net (it's a good idea for your IRC and SF.net nicks to be similar/identical).
- Ideally stay connected to IRC and in #ScummVM, it is often the quickest way to resolve issues with your mentor or get feedback from the larger team. If you can't stay connected to IRC please review the logs frequently.
- Subscribe to the scummvm-devel mailing list.
- Commit your code as soon as possible, preferably on a daily basis or more often. Our preferred approach to code commits is 'commit early, commit often'. Remember that your code is one of the key project deliverables so the more code we can see the easier it is to judge progress and help ensure that everything goes smoothly.
- We use Subversion (SVN) as our version management system. Please refer to the online book Version Control with Subversion for instructions on how to use SVN. Please also note that all students will be working of individual branches of ScummVM not our main development code.
- Reflect your progress in a weblog. If you don't have one already, try Blogger, Wordpress (see also http://wordpress.org), Movable Type, ...
- Create your user page on our Wiki and give a brief overview on what you are working on. However, your weblog is the main place to write about your progress.