Talk:Summer of Code/Application/2009
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Is the student template OK?
- Is the tasks page ready?
- Do we require code submission in advance?
- Do we conduct interviews with students?
--Jubanka 17:31, 8 March 2009 (UTC)
- My thoughts: We will add more tasks later on, but it is good for now. Yes, we will conduct interviews (IRC or phone, or both). And no, I don't think we should require code submissions in advance. Just a patch. One proposal I had was this: Let's add a buggy unit test, e.g. one which does not compile or produces an error. One idea is to set this task to interested students: Get ScummVM, compile it, runt he tests, identify the buggy one, fix it (let's make it something super-easy), submit that as a patch (with the private bit set, on the tracker). This is a long and ardous thing for a newbie, and I think it will filter out 99% of all bad candidates (and sadly some good ones, too...). --Fingolfin 22:10, 11 March 2009 (UTC)
Another idea: How about we assign every student a secondary / fallback mentor from the start? --Fingolfin 22:10, 11 March 2009 (UTC)
- This gets my vote, I also suggest we take it one step further and send all students contact info for all mentors as well as there 2 named ones (in fairness we did last year anyway). --DJWillis 17:57, 12 March 2009 (UTC)