Talk:User Manual/Appendix: Graphic filters
Here are some ideas on how to improve this page:
- In addition to full sized example pictures, which have to be clicked to be viewed, how about taking some small parts of these example pictures and displaying them on this wiki page in full size. This way, all the different scalers could be compared more easily by the user, by simply scrolling through this page.
- Different scalers have different "quality" in different games. Older games tended to use fewer colors and only coarse dithering, while newer games had quite different graphics. So, besides using a Maniac Mansion screenshot (16 color game) for comparison, ideally there would also be a screen shot from a more modern 256 color game, like Monkey Island 2.
- In addition to these, maybe also use the nice scaler test image found on e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hqx -- and like there, display it in full size, not in a thumbnailed version
We could hack up some code quickly to produce these, too: Some simple code that loads a BMP, applies all our scalers to it, and saves the results into new files should be easy enough. If somebody offers to integrate the resulting pictures on this page, I'd be willing to sit down and write the code to create them. --Fingolfin 13:49, 10 August 2009 (UTC)
Some comments on these suggestions:
- I just made added a column for a full size preview of a part of the image for each graphic filter. I also updated the last section (Comparaison) to propose a more compact inline way to compare the graphic filters.
- I think it's also a good idea to add images from a different more recent game. I will take snapshots from Monkey Island 2 and update this page.
- Lastly, I have no objections to also show the result of the scalers on the test image you suggest. If you write the code to generate the images, I will integrate them on this page.
Criezy 20:01, 10 August 2009 (UTC)