The 7th Guest
|The 7th Guest|
|No Screenshot Available|
|Also known as||T7G|
|Platforms||DOS, Windows, Macintosh, CD-i|
|Support||Since ScummVM 0.13.0|
The 7th Guest was the first game to be released by Trilobyte, and the first to use the Groovie engine. The introduction tells the story of Stauf, a toy-maker who builds a mansion, and then the user takes control of a character (referred to as Ego), who has no idea who he is or how he got there, as he solves the puzzles in Stauf's mansion to discover the truth about what happened there.
- We've been mainly working with the DOS / Windows version, so that's the best supported one.
- The Macintosh version may work to some extent, but the music will not work and it will crash on the save / load screen (as fonts are handled differently).
- The CD-i release seems to be done using a Philips' custom engine (it doesn't use the Groovie engine for sure), so we won't be able to support it in ScummVM.
Most versions of The 7th Guest have audio tracks on the CDs, and the first audio track on each CD is played at some point in the game. Following the normal ScummVM rules for copying games with audio tracks would give two audio tracks named "track1.xxx" (where "xxx" is "mp3", "ogg", or "flac"). To get around this problem, the first audio track from the first CD should be ripped as "track1.xxx", and the audio track from the second CD as "track2.xxx" (the second audio track on the first CD, if present, is blank and unused).
- The MT-32 instrument definitions aren't used yet, so it will play with wrong instruments
- External videos added with the Windows Beta player (http://www.tbyte.com/downloads/) aren't supported yet
- Paletted cursors aren't handled very nicely on platforms that don't support them, e.g. WinCE.
Original game bugs which also occur in ScummVM
- Library secret door - this is actually how the video was rendered, and as such is not fixable [Bug #2525078].
- Game room → kitchen secret passage - this only occurs in Open House mode, not in normal gameplay [Bug #2707314].
Original game bugs which have been fixed in ScummVM
- Cake puzzle bug [Bug #2458322]