This page is a place holder for gathering information on the potential migration from SVN to GIT for the ScummVM source code repositories.
Please use this page to track any blockers that you may foresee (Windows users, I am looking at you ;-)) so the problems can be addressed and the work moved forward.
- Windows users may want to take a look at http://code.google.com/p/gitextensions/ and http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/ --Fingolfin 12:47, 2 November 2010 (UTC)
- Things to tweak in the repository conversion
- Author names/emails: see this thread: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=20100807142903.71414e9c%40annie .
- Do we maybe want to use firstname.lastname@example.org as email address for some of the unknown authors rather than email@example.com? Wjp 13:27, 2 November 2010 (UTC)
- Graft in FreeSCI history from vendor/
- Maybe: broken endlines in SCI r50329, r50331 (breaking annotations) Wjp 13:09, 2 November 2010 (UTC)
- If possible: restore author/date of SWORD25 import commits? Wjp 13:09, 2 November 2010 (UTC)
- Are there other external histories we can and want to graft in? (Sarien?) Wjp 13:09, 2 November 2010 (UTC)
- From Fingolfin: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=AA4D038A-B948-43F0-87D7-22A2818BA3ED%40quendi.de
- Where to host the GIT repository?
- SF.Net Internal GIT hosting? - Not ideal. Features lacking.
- From Fingolfin: One thing to settle is where to host the master repository: I for once would like using github, due to the many nice features it offers, like very easy code review. (FYI, I registered a scummvm project account there some time ago, in case we want to use it, and to prevent others from (ab)using it). ScummVM on GITHub.
Some of our devs already use github for their own ScummVM trees, and since github makes it super-easy for anybody to branch from another user's tree, and then push changes back (resp. file a "pull request)", this seems ideal to me.