Assignee: Carthag. I am going to work on this, this Sunday. I will initlally confine myself to game.cpp, and then start migrating the changes to wherever the files are accessed.
It crashes now in game.cpp function game_loadExtTable() at data_readData().
This is all bad. Whole game tries to read structures directly without parsing them. Problems which it arises:
- sizeof(struct) is bigger than sum of sizes of its elements on most systems due to alignment. This is why it crashes now
- Endianness is not honoured
What we should do here is get rid of both data_openData and data_readData() and write function with this prototype (give it proper name):
MemoryReadStream data_getData(const char *filename, const char *chunkname);
It will read whole named chunk and return a stream of it. So code using it will look as follow:
chunk = new data_getData("intro.stk", "intro.tot"); foo.a = chunk.readUint32LE(); chunk.read(foo.b, 20); delete chunk;
MemoryReadStream will track end of chunk by itself, so no additional code is needed.
All places should be revisited and rewritten as every one will cause problems.
This will let us get rid of file_open() too which is an implementation of an ugly idea.
Main and long-term goals
- Make thing work
- Convert it to C++ classes. This should be done on per-file basis and keep in mind that we should make it to resemble original code al little as possible.
- Endianness fixes
Assignee: Ender is working on these
- Proper video initialisation
- Implement pDrawSprite, pDrawRect, pDrawLine, pPutPixel, pDrawletter functions from the VGA driver (lvga.gdr)
- Add support for other rendering modes (EGA/CGA/Hercules)
- Implement keyboard input functions
- Mouse input
- This file should be removed and is not currently required for compilation but we need to inspect which variables does it set and to which values and convert them to our Config Manager. We should support all video outputs and at least PC speaker and Adlib.
- Has yet to be written from sound.asm
- Write proper game detection. (MD5-based?)