Here are a few Frequently Asked Questions for our SymbianOS builds, if your question is unanswered feel free to ask them on the Forums, but please try to be as specific as possible by listing the phone type, model, brand, ScummVM build & the describe the situation of the problem.
- 1 Any chance of a port to Epoc32/S50?
- 2 How to install on devices with <4MB diskspace left (N-Gage and others)?
- 3 Crashes / no sound support on Symbian S60 devices?
- 4 I feel adventurous, can I build ScummVM for SymbianOS myself?
- 5 What can I do when my game X keeps crashing with an Out of Memory error?
- 6 How can I switch between Joy/Key/Cursor and Shrink/Zoom/Upscale modes for SXX devices?
- 7 What are these Joystick, Keyboard and Cursor modes anyway?
- 8 What are these Shrinked, Zoomed and Upscaled modes anyway?
- 9 Why does ScummVM on S60 not react when I press two buttons at the same time?
Any chance of a port to Epoc32/S50?
I own a Psion 5MX. Is a port to this old platform considered? Or did the architecture change too much between Epoc32 and S60? That platform has just too little memory and is to slow. For comparison: the S60 running at 103 MHZ is almost too slow, and 8-11 mb of free memory is not enough either. And also the MX is in greyscale.
How to install on devices with <4MB diskspace left (N-Gage and others)?
To get it to install please try the following:
- download the correct Symbian installer binary for your phone
- extract the files with UnMakeSIS.exe to a temp folder
- copy the entire System folder and Document folder to your MemoryCard or internal disk
- create the dir C:\documents\EScummVM\ (this is where the config file is stored)
- run it & enjoy!
Crashes / no sound support on Symbian S60 devices?
When starting any of the games, i'm getting an error message. After selecting OK, the game starts (no sound, though).
App. closed SDL_b E32USER-CBase 66
Fix: These issues have now been fixed by our Local Hero anotherguest. Please download a recent CVS build to use it!
I feel adventurous, can I build ScummVM for SymbianOS myself?
Sure, this is possible, but not as easy as doing this on Linux or Windows. Building EScummVM yourself using the UIQ 2.1/Nokia S60 SDK/Nokia S80 SDK/Nokia S90 SDK framework is not an easy task! Lets just say the frameworks needs quite some time to set up and take a while to get used to. If you choose to continue you will need some or all of the items on this page. Please check the README included in the source package for the information you need to get started on this perilous endeavor.
What can I do when my game X keeps crashing with an Out of Memory error?
Because of a new automatic build script we can now make a great number of specific builds for each phone type. We have decided to make versions of ScummVM with only one engine compiled in, so there is more memory left to run the game(s). These special versions can be found on the cvsbuilds page. If you keep having problems you can give one of these versions a try. Be advised that you can only play the game(s) that go with that specific engine! You can install these new versions over the old ScummVM versions, just choose 'Replace' during the installation process. Your configuration file will not be overwritten. You can now see what engine(s) are built in at the top of the About screen in the application.
How can I switch between Joy/Key/Cursor and Shrink/Zoom/Upscale modes for SXX devices?
S60 devices: (Control Key = 0, pressed simultaneously with other keys to activate the mode changes in SDL)
- 0+1 = change Input Mode: Joystick | Keyboard | Cursor
- 0+2 = change Video Mode: ShrinkedLandscape | ShrinkedPortrait | ZoomedPortrait
- 0+3 = change Orientation Mode for ShrinkedLandscape: 90° Left | 90° Right
- Side key 1 = Fire Joystick 1 button (JoyMode)
- Side key 2 = Fire Joystick 2 button (JoyMode) or change Video Mode: Upscaled | Normal (CursorMode)
- Side key 3 = change Input Mode: Joystick | Cursor
S90 devices: (Control Key = OK, pressed simultaneously with other keys to activate the mode changes in SDL)
- OK+1 = change Input Mode: Joystick | Cursor
- OK+2 = change Video Mode: Upscaled | Normal
What are these Joystick, Keyboard and Cursor modes anyway?
Joystick mode sends SDL joystick events to ScummVM which acts as a mouse control in ScummVM. Cursor mode sends keyboard arrows instead, so for example it can be used to navigate through directorylist (one hand use perhaps!?) or save games etc. Keyboard mode is only available for S60 and enables multi-tap to enter text characters in save dialogs. These modes are implemented at the underlying SDL level, so this determines the types of events that ScummVM receives from SDL.
What are these Shrinked, Zoomed and Upscaled modes anyway?
Shrink displays the game on your screen but in a shrinked way, either in Portrait or Landscape mode, so not all the pixels can be seen. Zoom mode uses the maximum resolution of your phone displaying a smaller part of the game zoomed at 1:1 pixels. For scrolling in S60 Zoom mode: 0+Cursor keys to scroll around, 0+Ok button to center view. Upscale tries to fill the larger screens on S80/S90 devices in a better way for low resolution games. Currently it uses a pixel interpolation upscaling routine.
Try leaving the application by pressing the App button. Then press and hold the App button and switch back to ScummVM and see if it helps. Multikeypress is a known problem on S60 devices. So sometimes it is reset to no multiple keypresses and then the system key won't work.